200 Million iPads Update
UPDATE 2012-04-24: My March estimate of 11.8 million was accurate. I’ve added a link below and updated the image to reflect the change.
UPDATE 2012-08-01: My July estimate of 23.3 million was way off. Like Asymco says, “It’s perhaps unrealistic to expect 150% growth for more than one year.”
Back in September, I estimated that Apple would sell 200 million iPads by the end of 2012. It looks like I was a little too optimistic.
Apple just reported stellar quarterly results. However, iPad sales growth was not quite as strong as Apple’s initial sales seemed to indicate. Two years after introduction, the iPad is selling better than the iPhone did two years after its debut. But it looks like it may take one extra quarter for Apple to hit 200 million iPads.
- Apr to Jun 2010: 3.27 million
- Jul to Sep 2010: 4.19 million
- Oct to Dec 2010: 7.33 million
- Jan to Mar 2011: 4.69 million
- Apr to Jun 2011: 9.25 million
- Jul to Sep 2011: 11.1 million
- Oct to Dec 2011: 15.4 million
- Jan to Mar 2012: 11.8 million (this was accurate)
- Apr to Jun 2012: 23.3 million (actual amount was 17.0 million)
- Jul to Sep 2012: 28.0 million
- Oct to Dec 2012: 38.9 million
- Jan to Mar 2013: 29.8 million (was 29.9 due to rounding differences)
Disclosure: I own AAPL stock.